home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Bryan's Bento - Gyoza

I have given a stab at bento boxes. Bryan owed his buddy so I fixed them both a bento box. I realize that this is a pathetic bento box but it is a start. I am dealing with Mr. No Vegetables here so I am going to have to be creative to pull off a real bento. We will see what I can come up with.
Gyoza

This is Onigiri and Gyoza.

Recipe:

Gyoza

Cabbage - 1/2 head
Carrots - 2
Green Onion - 1 bunch
1 lb mild breakfast sausage (not the sage kind)
Salt - a pinch to 1 tsp
Pepper - a pinch (I was generous)
Parsley - 2 Tbsp (I use dry parsley)
Gyoza skins - 2 pkg (I use wanton skins because it is all I can get here)
Soy Sauce - 1 tsp
Ginger - 2 tsp
Garlic - 1 tsp

In a food processor chop the cabbage, carrots, green onions. I like it rather fine as I have to hide vegetables from some in my house. :o) Add all this to a large bowl.
Add the pork, salt, pepper, parsley, soy sauce, grated ginger, and minced garlic. Mix well.

Spoon into gyoza skins, fold up, and set on a cookie sheet until you are done filling them.

To cook, heat up a well seasoned pan or a non stick pan, add a little oil and place the gyoza in. Don't have them touching. Cook them until they are golden brown on one side. Add 1/4 cup water and put the lid on and cook until the water is gone. Since the filling is raw I add the water twice just to make sure it is done.

When I take them out of the pan, I wipe the pan out quickly and re-oil.

Any uncooked gyoza can be frozen for cooking later.

Cooking gyoza is a little tricky but not hard. Cute Cooking goes into much better detail. They have a photo tutorial on how to fold and cook then. I am sorry but I won't let you see what my gyoza look like. They taste great and that is enough. Cute Cooking also has fabulous bento ideas. Lunch in a Box is also worth a visit. Their lunch ideas are fantastic.


The onigiri are Japanese rice balls. You can get a recipe and tutorial here.

4 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Wow, both of those look delicious! What a cool thing to find in a lunchbox!

zakkalife said...

the gyoza looks delicious, it's making me hungry, is it your own recipe?

I have a great chicken katsu recipe on my site if you're interested, the sauce is key. it was given to me from someone at our church

Stephanie D said...

Very interesting blog, and link, too. I've never heard of Bento Boxes before, but that has changed now. Thanks for introducing me to something new!

Lucy said...

The original recipe is my SIL Miyuki's but I added my own changes to it and made it my own. I like her's too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...